What is Salmonellosis
This disease is started from food poisoning basically. If an uninfected person inhales the food that is contaminated with salmonella bacteria, the infection starts from small intestine and grows further (Into main blood stream) leaving other symptoms and condition which will be stated below.
All types of food can be contaminated if the preparation of the food is not done in clear area or the sanitary conditions are not good. This disease is named after an American Sergeon Daniel E.Salmon (1850-1914) who found these bacteria in pigs.
Reasons of Spreading of Salmonellosis
The salmonellosis develops under certain condition like the stated below;
- Frozen food can be reason for this disease. Like undercooked turkey or chicken, unrefrigerated turkey dressing, undercooked eggs.
- It can spread from family members with salmonella infection
- The gastroenteritis is already among your family can cause it
- A person who has been in an institution can have it
- Eating chicken recently can cause it
- A pet iguana or other lizards, turtles, or snakes. As reptiles are mostly carried of salmonella bacteria.
- A weakened immune system can cause this disease.
When a person is infected with this bacterial infection, below mentioned symptoms are most commonly noted in the patient. These symptoms are found after 12 to 72 hours of infection and these lasts for 4-5 days if not treated properly. This is casual disease and most people recover without any treatment although it has certain treatments.
- Abdominal Pain is aroused
- Muscle Pain
- Abdominal Cramping
This disease cause many infection each year. In United Stated, it has been reported that about 142,000 persons are found infected with this disease and among those 30 die. And mostly this is caused from chicken eggs.
The FDA has published certain guidelines to control salmonellosis that is caused from food. Like the food must be cooked at 68–72°C (145–160°F) and liquids must be boiled before using. Freezing possibiliy kills salmonella but it is not sufficient to reduce the impact of it.
The scientist are researching on the antibodies of it, and for the first time it was found in Malawi children in year 2008. The malawian researchers have found an antibody which protects children from this infection. A study of 352 children at Queen Elizabeth Hospital found that children up to two years old develop antibodies that aid in killing the bacteria. This could lead to a possible Salmonella vaccine.