Sage, the Protective Herb
- the concoction of sage alleviates toothache and is used for the treatment of wounds and diseases of the stomatic concavity, such as ulitis, stomatitis and pharyngitis,
- it enhances blood circulation,
- it is carminative, it promotes bile flow and tones the stomach and the bowels, acting against bloating and digestive disorders (indigestion, loss of appetite, slow digestion, abdominal pain),
- it has healing, antibacterial, antiseptic, antibiotic and astringent action and the concoction of sage leaves is used externally on wounds and skin diseases,
- it is anti-inflammatory, suitable to alleviate rheumatic pain,
- it has disinfectant and expectorant action during colds and flu,
- it alleviates sore throat and the symptoms of bronchitis, asthma and sinusitis,
- it strengthens memory, fights sluggishness and there are indications that it could help to control Alzheimer’s symptoms,
- it reduces sweating, especially during the night,
- it is used as a uterine stimulant and can help in cases of dysmenorrhea and other menstrual disorders,
- due to its estrogenic action it is used to help breastfeeding mothers to completely dry up diminished milk flow and to control hot flashes and depressive feelings in menopause,
- it is a natural diuretic and has fat breaking action so it is suitable to treat cellulite,
- it is used against neuralgia,
- frequent shampooing with sage concoction has a tonic effect on hair and combats hair loss and dandruff,
- it repels insects and parasites.
- 5 drops in the diffuser or 1-2 drops (diluted in almond oil) in warm bath water to relax and fight off stress,
- 2 drops in 5 ml almond oil and gently massage the temples, forehead and nape to alleviate headache,
- 5 drops in 10 ml almond oil and gently massage the abdomen and waist to moderate menstrual pain and menopause symptoms,
- 20 drops in 100 ml of warm laurel oil and gently massage the head before shampooing in order to strengthen the hair.
Deodorants with pure essential oil of sage are ideal for controling sweating.
Soap with sage is suitable for a relaxing bath and to control gynaecological problem symptoms and oily skin.
Sage tea bags without caffeine and aromatic sticks for a peaceful evening at home
Sage seeds for your personal herb garden and dried sage leaves or spice to use for the following delicious recipe, in case you can not find fresh branches of course
Recipe: Chicken with Sage
1 chicken cut in portions
5 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions sliced
2 mashed garlic cloves
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup of white dry wine
1 cup of water
juice from one lemon
sage (4-5 small fresh branches or 1 teaspoon of dried ground spice)
salt & pepper
Use a big saucepan to stir fry in moderate temperature for 5 minutes the onions and cloves in olive oil. Roll the chicken pieces in flour and add them in the saucepan raising the cooking temperature. Season with salt and pepper, turn the chicken pieces so they are slightly browned all around and add the wine. After 1 minute add the water and leave the chicken to boil for about 50 minutes or until it is done and tender. Add the lemon juice and the sage and simmer for another 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Bon appetit!