Home Remedies for Fever – Causes, Symptoms & Cures
Normal body temperature ranges from 97 to 99 degrees Fahrenheit, but varies throughout the day. Usually is lower in the early morning and higher in late afternoon. A fever is consider to be any temperature above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. One should get concern when temperature raises above 102 degrees Fahrenheit for an adult and 103 degrees Fahrenheit for children. Often, having high temperature is helpful for the body.
A fever of 104 or higher can be a risk for people with cardiac problems, since it accelerates the heart beat and makes it work harder, and can cause irregular rhythms, chest pain or even hard attack. When a person has had a fever over 106 degrees for a long period of time, can cause dehydration and brain damage.
Symptoms of a viral fever
Some of the most common viral fever symptoms seen are fever, body ache, sore throat, headache, fatigue, diarrhea and a skin rash, just to name a few. However, it is important to realize that the viral fever symptoms in adults can be different from the viral fever symptoms in babies and children. The two main symptoms that are common to both adults, as well as children are body ache and fever. However, the average body temperature in adults and children are also different. In adults, a person is believed to have fever, if the body temperature is above 98.6 degrees F (37 degrees C). Other viral fever symptoms in adults are
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle pain
Tips for Fever
- Make sure you monitor your child’s fever closely. This can be done by checking your child’s temperature at least every 4 hours until it has completely subsided.
- Guard against dehydration by ensuring your child drinks plenty of fluids and make sure these do not contain caffeine.
- A lukewarm bath or sponge bath will help to cool down a high fever but never use cold water or ice.
- Encourage plenty of bed rest as moving around raises body temperature even more. This can be tricky with children that get frustrated when confined to bed, so you may have to think creatively. Try quiet activities such as coloring, game books, books on tape and playing cards.
Fever Home Remedies
- Boiling root powder in water to prepare a concentrate (1 cup reduced to ½) could be taken, with a little sugar added, daily morning on the empty stomach.
- Holy Basil(Tulsi) is another equally effective home remedy for fever. You can boil it in 2 cups of water and drink it. You can add some honey when boiling it.
- Prepare sharbat by boiling by some tamarind pulp in half liter of milk and adding some dates, cloves, sugar, cardamoms and a very little camphor. It lessens the fever.
- Use Peepal leaves as laxative and tonic. They relieve feverish feeling of coolness.
- The bark of Tamarind acts as an astringent, a tonic and it reduces fever. Use the bark as laxative.