Home Remedies for Dandruff – Causes, Symptoms & Cures
Dandruff is a condition in which flaking of scalp (skin of head) occurs which falls like snow flakes commonly seen on shoulders and face. Dandruff is a infectious condition caused by bacteria and fungus. It leads to the excessive scales formation of the skin accompanied by itching. As it is an infectious condition hence it can spread through direct and indirect contact like sharing towels, combs etc.
Dandruff is of two types
- Waxy dandruff – it occurs the epidermis scales which is mixed with the sebum that stick to the scalp in the form of patches.
- Dry dandruff – in this, small white flakes of scalp falls or may get attached to the skin of head.
- Lack of nutrition intake.
- Lack of minerals like zinc and calcium in diet.
- Fungal infection especially malasezia furfur is the major cause of dandruff
- Infections caused by yeast
- Usage of soaps and shampoos those are alkaline in nature.
- Infection caused by communication with others.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
- It is important to comb your hair daily as this promotes blood circulation inside the scalp. Also, regularly massage your scalp with herbal oil.
- Use hot olive or sesame oil on the scalp before bedtime. Next morning, rub little lime juice on your scalp one hour prior to bathing. Wash and rinse your hair well.
- Prepare a mixture of equal amounts of vinegar and water. Apply this on your scalp and leave it on overnight. Wash your hair the next morning with a mild baby shampoo.
- Soak a handful of fenugreek or methi seeds in some water overnight. Next day, grind the seeds to a paste. Apply this on your scalp and leave to rest for a couple of hours. Rinse your hair with shikakai or ritha.
- Massaging the scalp with fresh apple juice is said to fade dandruff away.
- A solution of beetroot juice, vinegar and some ginger juice, when applied on the scalp helps to get rid of dandruff.
- Washing your hair with powder of green grams is another remedy.
Dietaries for Dandruff
- Diet plays an significant role in the treatment of dandruff. To begin with, the patient should resort to an all-fruit diet for about five days and take three meals a day of ripe and fresh fruits.
- Citrus fruits, bananas, dried, stewed, or tinned fruits must not be taken.
- After the all-fruit diet, the patient can slowly adopt a well-balanced diet, with emphasis on raw foods, particularly fresh fruits and vegetables. Additional short periods of an all-fruit diet for three days or so may be essential at monthly intervals till the skin’s condition improves.
- Meats, sugar, white flour, strong tea or coffee, condiments, pickles, refined and processed foods must all be avoided.