Bacterial Meningitis Treatment
Its extremely important to know about main causes of bacterial meningitis in order to get it treated properly. This infection can occur due to:
- Hemophilic influenza type b (Hib)
- Streptococcus pneumonia
- Neisseria meningitides ( the name of a bacterium)
- Other bacteria such as group B streptococci, Listeria monocytogenes, Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Escherichia coli.
Patients having meningitis must be treated immediately since this disease quickly spreads and causes neurological damages that are severe as well as irreversible. Studies show that proper cure of this serious illness can reduce the chances of death by almost 15 percent. Its treated through:
Strong doses of intravenous antibiotics are given to the patient. These also minimize the chances of other infections. Powerful antibiotics such as vancomycin (Vancocin) and ceftriaxone (Rocephin) are included in the therapy.
Prednisone can be used to reliever swelling and brain pressure. It also prevents hearing loss that is quite common in those with Hemophilus influenza meningitis.
Sedatives and pain killers
Sometimes, the physician may prescribe sedatives and pain medicines to make patient comfortable.
The disease is also cured by:
- Anti nausea medications but only if its required
- Intravenous fluids according to the need
- Surgical treatment that includes drainage of sinuses if it is important to do.
- Antconvulsant medications that are dilanti and Phenobarbital to prevent seizures. These are used in severe cases.
- Acetaminophen(Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin).These fever-reducing medications are also given. Aspirin should not be given to children.
- Oxygen in case there is shortness of breath
These are the widely used treatment options. On individual basis, the patient must take plenty of fluids. Get sufficient rest and stay in a dark, quiet room all the time.