Amla Health Benefits
The Amla or Indian gooseberry tree is a small or medium sized deciduous tree. The tree bears pale green flowers, fleshy round fruits that are pale green to yellowish in colour. The fruit has a hard seed in the center. The tree is indigenous to India and used in many Middle Eastern and Indian medicines.
Amla Medicinal Properties
The Indian Gooseberry or Amla is a natural antioxidant with the richest source of Vitamin C, it contains 20 times the amount of vitamin C found in oranges. It also contains calcium, phosphorus, iron, carotene, amino acids, tannin, phosphorus, polyphenolic compounds, fixed oil, lipids and other essential oils. The Amla root bark is an astringent. The fruits are sour, astringent, cooling, ophthalmic, carminative, digestive, laxative, aphrodisiac, diuretic and antipyretic in nature.
Amla Home Remedies
It is used to treat the following conditions:
- Amla Stabilizes Blood Sugar
- One teaspoon of Amla juice mixed with a cup of bitter gourd juice is prescribed by naturopaths as it stimulates the Pancreas and it will secrete enough insulin for reducing blood sugar. Amla seeds or dried amla powder in the form of capsules is equally invaluable for the control of Diabetes. Read other Diabetes Home Remedies.
- Natural Cholesterol Remedy
- In laboratory studies, amla has been proven to effective for high cholesterol and prevention of atherosclerosis. It strengthens the heart muscles and causes a significant decrease in total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, VLDL cholesterol and triglycerides. A 500 mg capsule of dried Amla powder can be added to your daily routine after consulting with your doctor. Read other Cholesterol Home Remedies.
- Amla Treats Hypertension
- Amla is rich in vitamin C and helps control blood pressure. You can have it as amla choorna (powder) or in the form of triphala tablets or decoction. Triphala, a combination of amla and two other herbs is an excellent medication for high blood pressure. Read other High Blood Pressure Home Remedies.
- Natural Cure For Anaemia
- Amla is rich in Vitamin C or ascorbic acid, an essential ingredient that helps in the absorption of Iron. Supplements of Amla can be very beneficial to patients suffering from Iron deficiency Anaemia. Read other Anaemia Home Remedies.
- Amla is Anti-Ageing
- Amla has revitalizing effect on the body as it contains several nutrients and helps in preserving the stamina in aged people. It strengthens the heart, hair and different glands in the body. It improves the body’s immunity to resist infection and diseases.
- Herbal Cough Remedy
- Add a tsp of Amla juice or powder to a glass of warm milk and drink this thrice a day. This will clear an unpleasant throat, adding some ghee to this decoction will clear a cough. Mix amla powder with honey and suck this mixture twice a day to cure a chronic dry cough. Amla is invaluable in the treatment of tuberculosis, asthma and bronchitis.
- Amla Treats Diarrhea and Dysentry
- Amla has a strong, cooling property on the body and is an excellent remedy for diarrhea. Squeeze the juice out of a handful of Amla leaves into a glass of milk. Add some honey and ghee to this milk and drink it to stop loose motions that are accompanied with mucous and/or blood.
- A Natural Eye Tonic
- Fresh Amla juice or dried Amla capsules are a good supplement to improve nearsightedness, cataract and glaucoma. It reduces intra ocular tension and corrects the vision.
- Amla Promotes Hair Growth
- Dried amla fruits are boiled in coconut oil and then ground to form amla oil. This is a very effective conditioner and prevents balding and graying of hair. For oily hair, mix half a cup of Amla juice, half a cup of lime juice and some water. Apply this to make an anti-grease hair wash.
- A Pitta Pacifier
- Gooseberries are boiled in coconut water and the ground mixture is applied to the scalp. Amla oil is an excellent way to reduce heat associated with summer season. It is a good remedy to pacify pitta conditions.
- Amla Treats White Spots on the Nails
- Gooseberry is an excellent source of Vitamin C and so serves as an effective remedy in vitamin deficit condition. Add Amla juice/powder in your diet to overcome this condition.
- Remedy For Menstrual Disorders
- White discharge can be relieved with powdered and dried Amla Seeds. Make a mixture of this with honey and saunf or mix it with squished banana and consume it.